Updated: Inmate back in custody, Sheriff’s Office Investigating Release Morgan City Police Chief: Rape Suspect Erroneously Released by St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center

Written by

Last Updated on

Neukirch was booked into the St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center at 9:11 pm Thursday evening. He is being held on the charges of 1st Degree Rape and Sexual Battery. His bond has now been set at $500,000.

Statement from St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office:

Carl Ernest Neukirch, who was arrested by the MCPD and transferred to the St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center for incarceration and was released yesterday at a lower bond is in custody at the St. Mary Law Enforcement Center.

Neukirch was held on a $250,000 bond, but released yesterday when the bond was $20,000.

All arrest information and booking information originates from the arresting agency and is transferred to the housing agency.

The investigation into whether the release was due to human error or a computer software issue is ongoing.

Original Story

Morgan City Police Chief James Blair told KQKI News Thursday evening that a rape suspect his department arrested in February, who was later transferred to the St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center in Centerville, was mistakenly released on Wednesday, at a bond much lower than his original bond.

Blair said a warrant for 1st Degree Rape was issued by MCPD in April 2018 for 33 year old, white male, Carl Ernest Neukirch.  He was located in Jasper, TX and transported to the Morgan City Jail on February 26, 2019 and booked on a $250,000 bond. He was transferred to the St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center on March 7. Blair said that his department’s initial investigation was conducted in conjunction with the Thibodaux Police Department who also had a warrant for Neukirch’s arrest.  That warrant was for Sexual Battery with the victim being under 13 years old.

According to the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office inmate roster, Neukirch was released on a $20,000 bond on Wednesday evening, September 25 at 8:01 p.m. Blair said he spoke with St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Gary Driskell who confirmed that Neukirch was erroneously released on the $20,000 bond Wednesday evening.  Driskell told Blair that they have been in contact with Neukirch who is currently in the Houston, TX area.

The Morgan City Police Department has notified the victim of Neukirch’s release from jail. KQKI News is working to obtain additional information from the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office.  We will update the story once more information becomes available.


Article Categories:
Breaking News · Crime · Local News · St. Mary Parish

Comments are closed.