Last Updated on
St. Mary/Vermilion Community Action Agency Accepting appointments for LIHEAP utility assistance program
Mrs. Almetra J. Franklin, CEO, for St. Mary/Vermilion Community Action Agency would like to announce we are promoting several utility assistance programs to help households in distress due to the high cost of light and gas bill. A household can apply for all of the services provided they are eligible. Here are the programs:
LIHEAP UTILITY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM:
The Liheap Utility Assistance Program will begin accepting appointments on Wednesday, September 5, 2019 from 8:30a.m. to noon. You may call the central office at
(337) 828-5703 to set up your appointment. NO WALK INS. You can be eligible for this service once every six months, provided funds are available. If you don’t have all information, your application will not be accepted.
We will also take applications for the Crisis Assistance Program. This program is to help households whose lights and/or gas bills are turned off or threatened to be disconnected due to no other means of payment. A crisis exists when a household’s energy source for heating and/or cooling has been disconnected or scheduled for disconnection, faced with a health and/or medical safety risk (risk must be documented) or experiencing a social or economic hardship (income and basic living expenses must be considered) A crisis also exists for weather-related and emergency shortages declared by state and federal government.
To apply the following information is needed and current:
- Current Proof of Income (Examples: Last 4 consecutive paystubs, Award letters, Food Stamp Printout—(FS Printouts must be printed out in last 30 days)
- Unexpired Driver’s License or State I.D. with same address as the service address for applicant
- Social Security Cards for everyone in household
- One to Six months of Gas and/or Electric Bills (Actual Bills or Printout)
- Proof of Residence—Examples: Tax bill, Voter Registration Card, Insurance bill, Cable, Telephone, Credit Card, or Medical bill. The document must have name and physical address on it.
The income guideline is 1-$1,948, 2-$2,547,3-$3,146, 4-$3,745 and 5-$4,345.